Lots of things can be overwhelming to us as moms. Things like
- a busy schedule, and/or
- sudden changes in our routines
can push us past the norms of stress we’re used to, into a zone where we can feel like we might teeter over the edge into insanity.
On this particular day, I had ALL the overwhelming things: Monday, postpartum with a newborn baby, sickness, messy house, all on the day after Christmas.
Here’s how I handled it when I felt like exploding because of feeling overwhelmed:
- What made this particular day overwhelming?
- 2:50- How I sorted out the stress of this day
- 4:30- How things felt once I got things sorted out
- 5:00- Is this only possible because I have older kids?
- 5:25- Some of the ways I did it when I only had little kids
- 6:40- Being deliberate, rather than reactive
- 7:00- One thing I’m LOV-ING: Our toddler play yards – and WHY I love them
It’s so easy to feel overwhelmed as a mom, especially if we’re sick, or facing a messy house, unusual demands, or the sense that there’s too much to do.
But instead of yelling, or feeling hopeless, I’m trying to face these things head-on. When I do that, I find that the house gets back into good order, more quickly, and our relationships and moods aren’t dominated for the rest of the day by the slow-burn of my initial reactions and feelings.
IN THE COMMENTS, please share: What do YOU do when you feel overwhelmed?
p.s.– I seriously LOVE the toddler play yard for this postpartum season when I’m sitting and nursing for so much of the day. You can buy them here.