Don’t be offended; It’s the question I’m asking myself:
Are you a FOOL as a mother?
What would that even look like? What does it mean to be a fool?
Last month I sat in a homeschool conference on the 2nd row of a session by Tedd Tripp. (Can I just eeeeeeeeeek! about that for a minute?)
His topic was distinguishing wisdom and foolishness in the Proverbs. First, he told us “foolishness does not equal childishness. There are things your child will do that are simply because of immaturity and development. That is your child being a child.” (Helpful reminder for mamas parenting little ones!)
Instead, he boiled the whole idea of foolishness down to one statement:
The fool has said in his heart, ‘There is no God.’ ~Psalms 14:1
So are you that kind of mother?
You might be thinking, “phew! Nope. I’m definitely good there. I teach my kids about God. They know for certain we believe in God. I’m not a fool as a mother.”
Wait, wait, wait… it’s not that simple!
Next he defined wisdom according to another proverb:
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.” ~Proverbs 9:10
Maybe you’re a little annoyed now, thinking, “OK, Jess, now I’ve got the whole definition. Fool= “no God.” Wisdom= fear of the LORD. Pretty sure I’m in the clear.”
But here’s the thing. It is NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU DO. It’s not what you say to your child, others, or yourself about what you believe.
It is about how you LIVE.
Truly. In the secret places of your heart.
- When your child has a medical injury, are you immediately panicked? Riddled with anxiety? AS IF THERE IS NO GOD?
- When your son or daughter encounters perilous ideas contrary to what you’ve taught them, are you scared? AS IF GOD DOES NOT LOVE THEM AND WANT TO PROTECT THEIR HEART MORE THAN YOU DO?
- Who or what is it that you’re really FEARING in those moments of danger or despair?
- What is it that your heart is saying you really believe to be true?
Are you believing:
- There is a Sovereign God.
- He has a plan that extends to every atom of His creation.
- He directs the hearts of kings.
- His will cannot be thwarted.
- That God’s plans are the only ones that will certainly come to pass
- He will accomplish every thing that must be accomplished in your child’s life, now and forever.
- That your children are naturally wicked in their own flesh, and thus GOD must awaken their hearts to a desire for Him.
- That He will faithfully draw your children to Himself, if they are His children (chosen before the foundations of the world)?
- That there is no one who can die before his God-appointed time (not even your children!) (1 Sam 2:6, Ps 139:16)
- God is the Good Shepherd and He WILL go after my child if he/she is a child of God who is wayward.
- Jesus is the only one that can make my child “good enough.” (Your parenting can not.)
When you look at how you live, is it clear that you are believing these things? Are you living in light of the fear of the Lord?
Or if you look honestly at your actions and reactions, are you believing that it is all on you?
- stressed about their physical safety as if an injury or risk is beyond the reach of God and thus must be controlled by you?
- parenting as if their goodness and salvation is wholly on your shoulders?
- worried and unable to function healthily and normally because of your child’s sin?
- perpetually fearful that your child will come to some harm? (I am not talking about wise prudence about truly risky things; I am talking about an ongoing, fixated fear that controls you.)
- believing that you love your child more than your Heavenly Father does, and thus feel that YOU are the one ultimately protecting and shielding your child from anything and everything harmful?
- anxious about their present choices and their future path?
WHICH IS TRUE ABOUT YOU, MAMA?
- Are you living in fear of other things or in fear of the LORD?
- Are you trying to control everything yourself or trusting God as the “blessed Controller of all things?”
- Are you parenting as if it’s all on your shoulders, or continually mindful of your need for God’s grace and sovereign intervention?
- Are you churning with anxieties, or resting in God’s goodness?
- Are you stuck in an endless, pointless search for self-confidence, or living with God-confidence?
Are you a fool as a mother, or are your children fully in the LORD’s hands?