When Mama Feels Overwhelmed
Lots of things can be overwhelming to us as moms. Things like
- a busy schedule, and/or
- sudden changes in our routines
can push us past the norms of stress we’re used to, into a zone where we can feel like we might teeter over the edge into insanity.
On this particular day, I had ALL the overwhelming things: Monday, postpartum with a newborn baby, sickness, messy house, all on the day after Christmas.
Here’s how I handled it when I felt like exploding because of feeling overwhelmed:
- What made this particular day overwhelming?
- 2:50- How I sorted out the stress of this day
- 4:30- How things felt once I got things sorted out
- 5:00- Is this only possible because I have older kids?
- 5:25- Some of the ways I did it when I only had little kids
- 6:40- Being deliberate, rather than reactive
- 7:00- One thing I’m LOV-ING: Our toddler play yards – and WHY I love them
It’s so easy to feel overwhelmed as a mom, especially if we’re sick, or facing a messy house, unusual demands, or the sense that there’s too much to do.
But instead of yelling, or feeling hopeless, I’m trying to face these things head-on. When I do that, I find that the house gets back into good order, more quickly, and our relationships and moods aren’t dominated for the rest of the day by the slow-burn of my initial reactions and feelings.
IN THE COMMENTS, please share: What do YOU do when you feel overwhelmed?
p.s.– I seriously LOVE the toddler play yard for this postpartum season when I’m sitting and nursing for so much of the day. You can buy them here.
Subscribe to my newsletter, and I'll send monthly encouragement -- full of truth and grace for moms. SIGN UP, SO WE CAN KEEP IN TOUCH: