10 Things I’ve Said to My Kids in the Last Week That I Need To Hear, Too
Today I got to thinking that, in the last week, I’ve said several things to my children that I should take to heart.
Here’s 10 that came to mind.
- ABOUT HEART ATTITUDE– “That heart attitude will only make you more and more bitter. What can you choose to be cheerful about instead of grumping?”
- ABOUT DISLIKE FOR OTHERS– “Yes, I know you don’t love him. That’s clear from how you treat him. But that is wickedness in your heart– that is your flesh and not from the Lord. Love is a choice. Start praying for him each day. Start investing in him. Start looking for the good. God can change your heart toward him!”
- ABOUT BEING PRECIOUS & DEARLY LOVED– “You’re so neat. God has made you so good! He does all things well!“
- ABOUT WORK– “Not every job is fun. But when we do it with the heart to bless our family and to please the Lord, it makes it not so bad.”
- ABOUT GOD’S SOVEREIGNTY– “Out of all the people in all the world, God put you in THIS family with each of these people, and He did it on purpose and means it for your good.”
- ABOUT DEVICES– “You’ve had enough time with your face looking at a screen. Get outside and enjoy the day!”
- ABOUT FEELING OVERWHELMED– “I only assign work to you that I believe you can do. If you don’t understand it, ask for help, but don’t sit there thinking I’ve made some sort of mistake in what I’ve given you to do. I know you and I love you and I’ve given you this because it’s good for you. You can stretch yourself, do this, and grow!“
- ABOUT PRIORITIES– “You should get your chores done before you play.“
- ABOUT REST– “Your attitude is telling me you need more sleep than you’ve been getting. Don’t waste time now, just get right to bed.”
- ABOUT BEING UNDER AUTHORITY– (when my older boys went on a day-trip with a homeschool group under the authority of another mom) “Be respectful and helpful. Make it a blessing for the people who have responsibility for you.” (reminded me of Hebrews 13:17)
Did you need to hear any of these today? Which one(s)?
Subscribe to my newsletter, and I'll send monthly encouragement -- full of truth and grace for moms. SIGN UP, SO WE CAN KEEP IN TOUCH: