What I’m Reading, Thinking, Doing – 7/25/15
Done this last month:
- Culled our library, pulling out books for a garage sale, and for some upcoming giveaways.
- Worked with a young friend to clean out and organize my craft closet.
- Finished a writing job. I’m so thankful to be able to work on Bible studies as a side job for extra income.
- Did a week-long device & media fast. Felt conviction about electronic overusage and am still working through how to practically live that out. Hoping to write more on that, soon. (And yes I’m laughing at myself about this one– Ironic much?)
- Started drinking unlimited coffee rather than limiting myself to 1-2 cups a day. I’m enjoying it and not having near the effects (mainly, jitteriness) that I anticipated.
- Started using the paid-version of the “Way of Life” app as a simple way to keep myself on track with daily goals for myself, our home, and family.
To do this upcoming month:
- Pack and prepare for an upcoming camping trip… my first time to go camping… and doing it with 7 kids — EEEEEK!
- Go on said camping trip.
- Prep for our upcoming homeschool year.
- Restructure our chore chart, adding in Theo as a helper, upgrading and shifting certain responsibilities
- Start making baby food for my little Mr. Chubster. He’s 5 months old, salivating, eyeing our food, and generally getting ready for solids.
- Get my fall plans sorted out– babysitters arranged for a conference we’re attending, plans in the works for co-authoring a book, considering what we’ll do for our 15th anniversary in a couple months… lots to think about!
LINKS FOR GROWING ON PURPOSE THIS WEEKEND:
- Joy in the Midst of Navigating LGBT Issues — an audio recording of a talk at Bethlehem Baptist
- Don’t hold your hair back while you throw up — Some helpful nudges about transparent living as a Christian
- How I’m Prepping my Home for Homeschooling — always helpful to see how others do it
- Call the Police– Not Your Pastor– if you’re a victim of domestic violence — We’ve seen this tendency too… to call spiritual authorities when you ought to call physical/governing authorities. If you or your children are in danger, call the police. This is not a submission issue; this is a safety issue. God puts the governing authorities, like the police, in place to serve us in these ways.
- Would These 4 Questions Change the Way You Spend Your Money? Helpful thoughts to consider about money and financial choices
- “He or She? How should I refer to my transgender friends?” — Pastor John Piper weighs in.
- Discipline: The Glad Surrender by Elisabeth Elliot (this one’s a re-read… soooooo good! Every page is full of rich meat for the Christian woman.)
- Educating the Wholehearted Child: Discipleship, Whole Books, and Real Life! Wholehearted Christian Home Education for Ages 4-14 by Clay & Sally Clarkson — I like to keep myself motivated and fueled for home education, and this book is doing it!
I LOVE THIS:
Try not to think–much less speak–of others’ sins. One’s own are a much more profitable theme. C. S. Lewis
Subscribe to my newsletter, and I'll send monthly encouragement -- full of truth and grace for moms. SIGN UP, SO WE CAN KEEP IN TOUCH: