A Summer Intermission
“So, anyways, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty” (<—– in my head, that is in Nacho Libre’s voice, in case you’re wondering).
Summer is here and I need to breathe deeply and find my way to some fresh headspace.
I’ll be back; I always come back. Writing is in my blood, but it’s time for some assessment and reexamination of the whats and whys. As always, I want to write things that:
- are helpful for women
- are biblically faithful, because teachers are accountable for what we teach
- intersect with the real places where women actually reside — in both their practices and their hearts.
But for now, I need a lengthy intermission.
I need to
- go on hikes,
- say “yes” to playing Spades, going on walks, planting seeds, drawing with chalk, having picnics with the kids… summertime requests that we don’t always have time to carry out
- get podcasts edited and ready for publishing,
- reexamine where my writing efforts are best spent,
- water my blueberry plants more often so they don’t shrivel up,
- enjoy the no-school lull when my mornings are more my own than they are during the school year,
- clean my house up and organize all this stuff we collected from thrift stores and gifts over the past year or two,
- grab full hold of our summer and try to find a time when we can have time away together as a family.
We’re in dreaming mode… which maybe is a constant thing for us… but summer has given us more freedom to do it. What could this summer hold? A family backpacking trip? A deep-cleaning and a hefty garage sale? A summer of heady reading for our big boys?
At the end of this summer, Lord willing, I’ll be a 36-year-old, 30-week pregnant mama…
But I could also be a 36-year-old, 30-week pregnant mama who:
- is in better shape than I currently am,
- has a quiet, settled heart,
- is well-rested and amped up for our next school year, (gonna have my first high schooler this year! wheeeee!)
- has experienced more scripture than social media,
- dwells in a less cluttered, more steward-able house,
- has an even-clearer vision of my purpose and goals for this next season,
- and maybe even has completed a multi-day-backpacking-thru-hike with our family of 9.
I don’t know what all this summer holds. But for now, it doesn’t look like it will have a 3-day-a-week writing commitment in it.
I’ve decided it’s summer intermission. I hope not to lose you along the way.
- Be sure to follow me on Facebook so that we don’t lose touch. (I’ll still be posting articles from the archives and links of interest to you there.)
- Follow my JessConnell.com Pinterest Board & you’ll know exactly when I start posting again.
- You can still use my contact form to get in touch if there are personal things that hit you that you want to talk through.
Have a great summer!
Subscribe to my newsletter, and I'll send monthly encouragement -- full of truth and grace for moms. SIGN UP, SO WE CAN KEEP IN TOUCH: